Upcoming Events

6:30pm - 9:30pm
Every 2nd Wednesday
Monthly Training


7:30pm
Every 1st Monday
Monthly Meeting

2014 Call Volume
  Fire
Jan 47
Feb 27
Mar 30
Apr 11
May  
Jun  
Jul  
Aug  
Sep  
Oct  
Nov  
Dec  
Total 115

View Call Volume History

Member Login

Username:


Password:






















 

Did You Know?

 

Each year, approximately 3,000 people in the U.S.A.. die from fires in the home. Many of these fires occur at night while people who are sleeping unknowingly inhale toxic gases and smoke. More than half of the fires occur in houses without a smoke alarm. Fires that result in death in houses with smoke detectors are almost always due to not enough detectors or dead smoke alarm batteries. The risk of death from residential fires is cut significantly when you know how to change the batteries in your smoke detector. 

Smoke detectors that are 10 years old are near the end of their service life and should be replaced. Some people think that their smoke alarm sits idle until there is smoke present. Actually, it is working every minute, constantly monitoring the air 24 hours a day. An normal smoke detector, for example, goes through 3.5 million monitoring cycles in 10 years.

Just like any electrical appliance, the working components of smoke alarms wear out over time. When the smoke detector reaches 10 years of use, the potential of failing to detect a fire increases. Replacing them after 10 years reduces the likelihood of failure.

 

                                                          

 

 
What Is Carbon Monoxide?

 

Carbon Monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America, according to the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). 1,500 people die annually due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, and additional 10,000 seek medical attention. (Medical experts agree that it's difficult to estimate the total number of carbon monoxide poisoning incidents because the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning resemble so many other common ailments.

 

Carbon Monoxide Detector Placement:

Proper placement of a carbon monoxide (CO) detector is important. If you are installing only one carbon monoxide detector, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends it be located near the sleeping area, where it can wake you if you are asleep. Additional detectors on every level and in every bedroom of a home provides extra protection against carbon monoxide poisoning.

Homeowners should remember not to install carbon monoxide detectors directly above or beside fuel-burning appliances, as appliances may emit a small amount of carbon monoxide upon start-up. A detector should not be placed within fifteen feet of heating or cooking appliances or in or near very humid areas such as bathrooms.

When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air.

Installation locations vary by manufacturer. Manufacturers' recommendations differ to a certain degree based on research conducted with each one's specific detector. Therefore, make sure to read the provided installation manual for each detector before installing. (Source: http://www.homesafe.com/coalert/detect.php)

 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 













 





Recent Calls

Sun. Apr 13th 2014
Garage Fire

 
Station 170 and 257 were dispatched to W. Railroad St in Heidelberg Borough for reported brush fire endangeri...

Read more »


Wed. Apr 9th 2014
Commercial Fire Alarm

Station 257 and 256 were dispatched to Carriage Park Apts for a commercial fire alarm. 257 Engine staged at the fire hydrant ...

Read more »


Mon. Feb 10th 2014
14 - 00059 Residential Structure Fire

Stations 130 and 257 were dispatched to Connecticut Ave in Dormont Boro for residential structure fire. 257 Engine responded ...

Read more »

Search Our Site

Search:




YourFirstDue.com Managed web hosting for Fire/EMS



Login



Copyright © 2006-2014. YourFirstDue Inc.. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Content on this web site is supplied by Glendale Hose Company #1. YourFirstDue Inc. cannot be held responsible or liable for any content, text, pictures, or any other media found on this web site. Maintained by the members and staff of Glendale Hose Company #1.

This site has been
viewed 11,610 times.